Full speed decision making? No, this is no car racing. You don´t “tune” your ability to make better decisions FASTER. You won´t reach the maximum. Don´t even think about it. BUT: you can shift into the second gear.
Why velocity won´t work for your decision making process? Let me offer you some thoughts about it:
- To be competent about each situation you´re facing you need clarity. You´re rather the observer of a car race than a driver.
- High speed works with dictatorial leadership only. Just think of the military where a leader literally through orders in. This is part of a short term action because durableness includes the danger of incorrect decisions.
- Another negative factor of permanent dictatorial leadership is that you won´t be able or even willing to discover skills of the inferiors. It doesn´t allow their self-dependence either. And just think about the consequence once the decider fails, suddenly drops out or simply can´t be reached.
The more deciders you develop in your company, the more you as a leader share your risks of potential failure. And deciding is not always about change or cost savings. Your teammember makes a decision the very moment she/he has a great idea and reports it to you or the relevant leader! Your teammember or you decide once you ask your customer about the service of your company. You decide once you allow yourself to interview a happy customer and report the good feedback. Positive items tell a lot about what´s missing. They mostly describe a certain area or structure of the company, triggered by the latest very good customer experience – it never tells it all.
Your company reaches a low velocity decision making – but a stable – when you spread it onto many deciders. Makes sense? It´s a great approach!
In any case, the information flow must run automatically, it must be carried out and be embodied. You reach this level by developing qualifications which lead to a high level of inventiveness.
- Qualification shall include the knowledge of best strategies for questioning. “Ask the right question and the correct answer is yours.”
- Qualification shall include the ability of the swap method which reduces the choices for the best decision by thinking through the value of every tradeoff in a rational measured way.
- Qualification shall include the knowledge that the decider will not be sure to meet the good consequences. Uncertainties escort you like a good buddy. Decisions under uncertainties should only be judged by the quality of the decision making, i.e. when using a risk profile.
The best skills of asking questions leads to reduce many of the uncertainties and as a result it will deliver THE information which will function like an “end-product”.
A decider wants a result. A decider gets a result.
BE A DECISION MAKER. BECOME OUTSTANDING.
rita jaskolla – Leadership Architect –