It´s not always sanity and a big wish which motivates and makes us move to reach a certain goal:
- buy a house
- marry the love of your life
- change your job to improve
- move into another town
- take a sabbatical (!)
- attend a sports competition
- buy a camera to film your growing kids…...
….. all these are typical “daily life” decisions, don´t you agree? And we tend to set specific goals when we are about to make a few bigger decisions:
- buy a house with 3 bedrooms near your friends home
- sign-up for a 2-year education program to improve your job quality
- choose a new location or country to enjoy more sun or the ocean AND a better job
- travel through Africa or Australia for a half year or year to rest from work and to enjoy life and refill your human battery
- train your body for 2 years in hope to attend at the Olympics, either improving your training time or the skill…..
BUT – how do you react towards some potential rewards?
Do you notice sometimes that you tend to decide for a certain action causing a new decision ….. because the reward which is waiting for you is pure allurement? Be honest!
There is one trap which comes with a reward from outside your circle: you give away your single-handedly power! You allow others to lead you and play after their rules. Yes, a reward might bring you a specific attention, a promotion, a new contract or puts you into a group of new people. BUT!
There is no guarantee that it´s YOU who will receive this reward, all it DOES is – MOTIVATE you.
Try one of my tips if a blinking reward tries to beckon you over:
- find out whether time and effort to reach it is worth chasing it
- think about what will be different for you after receiving the reward
- figure out the “missing” alternative to reward yourself as a self-leader & to stay in your game
A reward system runs actively in sports and in the Corporate world, either for employees to stay very productive or for Start-Ups / entrepreneurs, to trigger good ideas and get going!
BE A DECISION MAKER. BE OUTSTANDING.
rita jaskolla – Leadership Architect –