Not every leader acts as a hero when growing the business!
In an era where machines turn out to become a tax evader and top athletes turn into straightforward runners, the quality of our decisions and actions should be wisely watched and corrected. Times are changing! Even faster. The hunters settle, lay down their wapons and sit with the family members now.
The age of the typical Alpha Bosses turns around the next corner and they are followed by a new type of Boss. It could be the one who worked in a hospital before, as if they were trained where all the decisions are about life and death of each customer (“patient” or “project”) instead of only juggling coins for more daily cash. Okay, depending on what kind of doctor or surgeon they are…. But THEY need to make the right decisions about keeping each life alive. And you only reach this goal with a team which collaborates by 100%. Fact.
Another great example is how each Formula 1 team collaborates and exchanges relevant information within seconds “just” to improve their results. Or, to keep their goal alive!
Here´s what kind of qualities such heros offer as a great example:
1. Chuck out the command-and-control communication first! Less hierarchical biz structures are building the new startups today and they turn out to be plainly horizontal. This rather “flat stage” offers a better overview for everyone who works at such organization. Every conductor needs the complete overview of the orchestra. Compared to the old believe that the earth is a flat slice this similar looking biz structure pushes together the feeling that employees are again part of something. This identification is a great motivator to go for more – and reach more together!
2. Egos still drive. Everyone needs attention when owning relevant tasks to complete. Reward implemented collaborative behavior. Why? This new era means change and looking up to the old era, there are no role models to copy from. Everyone in a horizontal structure should be a decisive leader for their own task, particularly in times of crisis and change. Make it clear, allow to grow their qualities.
3. Demand innovation. Demanding shouldn´t leave the stage of your new biz structure, just give it a new place in your organization – put it below the innovation factor. Push innovation up! Make a difference and ask for everyones input into key decisions. Give reasons and a method to permanently communicate their learnings to one another. Have an eye on everyones strenght and encourage the team-members to play it. Explain that this drives the complete organization to lead and leave competition behind.
4. Offer more rewards at appraisal interviews. Shared values is what collaboration is made of. Working hand-in-hand is what teamwork is made of. The old playground of “knives-out competition” has no more successfactor left. Instead each talent in combination with education should be fully expressed. We run and live in the information driven era. Remember: success is the sum of your decisions. That´s also relevant for each team-member.
5. Family culture is king. Leadership turned more fluid and flexible. It´s no more on-off action from above. Character and sole integrity matter a lot and needs to be found and included. Have a Corporate Identify culture which normally only a self built family can offer. Have rules, let everyone see the rules and agree to. This builds culture. Have team players. And sometimes, just be a conductor.
Value driven habits, a family culture and accepted rules are the easy way basis to offer your team best chances for reaching every goal. Set up goals! Reach goals! Don´t wait, go for new ones!
BE A DECISION MAKER. BE OUTSTANDING.
rita jaskolla – Leadership Architect –